Monday, May 24, 2010

MacGruber


Here's the thing: it got me. I don't know HOW, but it got me.


Was it hysterical? Yes, parts. Was it boring? Like two parts but that's okay, it gives you time to recover from some hysterical scenes and go over what you want to do after the movie, in your head. (We're VERY busy people you and I!). Is it worth $13.50? Yes and no. I didn't walk out, so I didn't feel gypped but I would have TOTALLY felt like it was WAY worth it if it were a $7.50 matinee. (Do they even still have those? *sigh* I don't want to get old...)

Story Synopsis:
MacGruber is about... well, MacGruber.

First thing: I hate Ryan Phillippe. Second thing: I hate stunt casting. (Sorry Mr. Witherspoon you're shit out of luck on this one.)

Will Forte (who is KILLING on 30 Rock right now) as MacGruber is EXACTLY the way he is in the SNL skits, so if you don't like 'em, I don't know if you should go. Whenever I watch the skits I always think: "I get that they're supposed to be funny, I just don't know why I don't laugh."


The reason I went to the film REALLY was for Kristen Wiig. (P.S.: that link is to her super useless website) As Vicki St. Elmo she's funny, but just like MOST SNL flicks, something is ALWAYS falling short. Like why is she dressed like the 70's when it's OBVIOUSLY a movie that takes place in the 80's? Is that supposed to be funny? I don't know. She's funny, but she's not always funny...and that clothes gag isn't funny at all. We get it: your Cords have Cameltoe. NEXT!

(Not a good upsale, I know. Fine. She's funny. As a matter of fact Daniel and I laughed for the rest of the day after one of her lines... so she was FRICKIN' HYSTERICAL!!!)

Um, whatelse? Uh, Val Kilmer got hungry. Like REAL hungry. I don't know WHAT they're feeding these aging male 80's stars, but Val Kilmer is more bloated than the new Two Tons of Fun: Tom Hanks and John Travolta.

Yeah you know what, I'm still not upsaleing this movie yet... IT'S FUNNY! It's funny because you don't know what to expect or maybe because you hate the skits and think there's NO WAY it could actually be funny, so since you're expectations are so low there's no way it could fail.

I think what people are going to be amazed by are "A" There's an ACTUAL plot. It's simplistic, but it's a plot. "B" The sight-gags, gross out humor and lines crossed. There's a lot of them and they're funny. I don't know WHAT Ryan Phillippe got paid to do some of the stuff he did, but I'm sure it wasn't enough. (Or apparently, it was.)

I will say this: I wanted it a little more Naked Gun-esque. THEN it would have been genius.


In closing: SNL movies are usually so "Bubblegum" and this was NOT. This was VERY Something About Mary humor, you know back when that first came out, and it made you wonder if this is what SNL would be like if it were on cable.

..and if being on cable would be a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment